It’s important that you work to maintain a strong, positive self image. This will help you thrive both as a dancer and in life as well. Here are nine tips that can help:
- Appreciate what your body can do as a dancer and celebrate the positives.
- Keep a “Top 5” list of your best attributes as a dancer.
- Keep in mind that body image is about your entire person as a dancer, not just the “skin deep” appearance.
- Surround yourself with positive people, other dancers that accentuate the positive.
- Shut down negative thoughts.
- Wear comfortable dance clothing that makes you feel great.
- Reach out and help or compliment other people, especially other dancers.
- Find positive role models and learn from them.
- Do nice things for yourself – make yourself feel good – IT WORKS!
If this is too much to work on all at once, pick one and start there. Make it a habit and then add another. Even if you are not feeling positive now, implementing each of these slowly over time will move you into that stronger position.